If you are licensed for Navisphere then the SCOM pack for CLARiiON is available on Powerlink at:
Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads J-O > Navisphere Server Based Software
Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads C > CLARiiON AX4-5
Introduction to CLARiiON Management Pack for SCOM
CLARiiON's initial integration with SCOM is through a Windows host that is setup as a CLARiiON monitoring server. This monitoring server retrieves CLARiiON Events, which is established through the creation of a Navisphere template, into the Monitoring servers Windows Application Event Log. Once an associated event is presented to the monitoring servers Application Event Log the CLARiiON SCOM pack will determine if the event should be raised as an alert into SCOM. For this initial release of the CLARiiON SCOM pack there are a selected number of CLARiiON Events that will raise a SCOM alert. These 89 CLARiiON Events are a subset of the total CLARiiON Navisphere Alerts that are available. They have been selected because they are the most commonly seen alerts and also provide actionable details that are associated with the alert.
These 89 alerts are as follows: (NOTE: These CLARiiON Event Numbers are subject to change with each version of the CLARiiON Management Pack)
0x7400 0x7408 0x7209 0x720E 0x7212 0x7219 0x7472 0x744B 0x745D
0x7401 0x7409 0x720A 0x743A 0x7213 0x721A 0x721B 0x7000 0x7223
0x7465 0x740A 0x720B 0x743B 0x7214 0x7443 0x7444 0x721C 0x7461
0x7229 0x7434 0x720C 0x720F 0x7440 0x722B 0x7445 0x721D 0x7222
0x7402 0x7204 0x7435 0x7210 0x7215 0x7600 0x7446 0x721E 0x7460
0x7403 0x744C 0x7436 0x743C 0x7216 0x7462 0x7447 0x700B 0x7226
0x7404 0x7205 0x720D 0x743D 0x7441 0x7463 0x7448 0x745F 0x7224
0x7405 0x7206 0x7437 0x7211 0x7442 0x7464 0x7449 0x7221 0x7227
0x7406 0x7207 0x7438 0x743E 0x7217 0x7470 0x721F 0x745E 0x7228
0x7407 0x7208 0x7439 0x743F 0x7218 0x7471 0x744A 0x7220
Setting CLARiiON Monitoring for use with SCOM
1. Navisphere Agent Installed on CXMonitoringServer
2. Proper credentials need to be setup during install
3. CXMonitoringServer needs registration with the CLARiiON Array
4. CXMonitoringServer needs to have proper credentials on the SP Agent tab in order to be used as monitoring station.
5. On the CLARiiON array, a template needs to be created linking which events will be logged into the Windows Application Log as shown below in figure 1. The below picture shows this SCOM_Template properties as well as which storage system this template is in use for and which Windows System the template is logging to the Application Event Log.
6. NOTE: In this example I've selected only the CLARiiON Alert events because they contain all of the listed event numbers above as well as few more....best practice will be to select only the events that will cause a SCOM alert to be raised, thus only select the 89 events listed above.
7. Once the template is in place the array will beginning logging events within the Windows Event Viewer Application Event Log as shown below in figure 2. The events circled below are examples of what the events look like when they are generated on the Windows Application Event log.
Installing SCOM Agent on a CXMonitoringStation
There are a few different ways manage the CXMonitoringStation from SCOM:
•(Default) From the SCOM Server you can push the SCOM Agent on the hosts you wish to monitor.
•Install the Agent directly on the host you are going to monitor via a CD or network share.
•Or you can elect not to install an agent on the server being monitored (known as Agentless Managed)
Microsoft recommends using the default method which will push the SCOM Agent onto the host that will be monitored from the SCOM server. If for some reason ports are blocked that are needed to push the SCOM Agent onto the monitoring server then you'll have to install the SCOM Agent onto the monitoring server via CD or network share. In the steps below I'll show you how to install the SCOM Agent by pushing the Agent from the SCOM server onto the monitoring server.
1. From the SCOM Server select Administration and Agent Managed
2. Right click on the Agent Managed and select Discovery Wizard
3. Select Advanced Discovery and in the drop down under Computer & Device type select Servers & Clients click next
4. Select Browse for or Type-in Computer name and add the CXMonitoringStations Computer name click next
5. Select the Computer you want to management and select the Management Mode (in this case Agent Managed) and select next. Shown below in Figure 3
6. Change or leave the Agent installation directory and select your preferred account settings (default is recommended) and then click finish
7. This will begin the installation of the SCOM Agent onto the CXMonitoringStation.
Importing CLARiiON Management Pack on SCOM Server
SCOM Server has several default management packs that comes with the installation of the SCOM server itself. The reason for this is so other third party management packs can leverage the work that exists within the default management packs in order to prevent duplicate work. The CLARiiONMP.mp file is the name of the management pack that needs to be imported into SCOM server in order to for SCOM Administrators to begin reaping the benefits of CLARiiON Alerts within SCOM.
To import the CLARiiON Management Pack
1. Select Administration and then right click on Management Packs and select Import Management Pack
2. Browse for the path of the CLARiiONMP.mp file and import the management pack.
If you are upgrading from and earlier version of the management pack you can just re-import the new management pack and it will override the old management pack without issues. Once the management pack is imported you can begin testing the SCOM pack to ensure it is working properly.
Post a Comment